Saturday, September 22, 2007

Slivovitz - Not just for Purim


For the last 10 years or so, I have been obsessed with slivovitz. Not obsessed in a stalker sort of way, but in a healthy admiration sort of way. Recently I discovered that there was a Slivovitz festival in Minnesota with a satellite festival right here in Maryland… and I missed it! Next year I am thinking that we need a Baltimore Slivovitz festival. Who’s with me?

For those of you who are not familiar, slivovitz is a very strong plum brandy (sliva means plum in Slavic). Most eastern European countries, particularly the Slavic ones, have a version of this strong delightful creation. It is often a favorite of Ashkenazi Jews because, not being made from grains, it is considered kosher for Passover. We ike to drink it on Purim, the Jewish St. Patrick's Day. One of my favorites, pictured here, is Jelineks from the Czech Republic. I highly recommend the gold variety as it is glass-aged to a smooth perfection.

My own relationship with slivovitz began as part of a re-claiming my heritage kick I went on in the mid 90s. As I passed thirty I began to realize that drinking slivovitz and eating bagels and corned-beef sandwiches, was about as Jewish as I was going to be. Having reached this epiphany, I can just relax and enjoy the booze and so, my friends, should you.

4 comments:

Jon said...

Sign me up!

Jim said...

Thanks for the recommendation--I've never heard of this stuff before, but I'll damn sure be checking it out now, even if I am a gentile.

Anonymous said...

Matt,

We need a Baltimore Satellite Slivovitz Festival, and someone to host it, so we accept your (unspoken) offer to coordinate it.

September 6, 2008 - you pick the place, we'll list it on our website. You can even pick your own Miss Slivovitz Baltimore if you want.

Bill Radosevich
www.slivovitz.us

danielle said...

Can I be Miss Slivovitz Baltimore?!